Monday, December 18, 2017

Tales by Light

Misunderstood Predators Pt. 1
1: Eric Cheng is an underwater nature photographer. He goes around the world to take pictures of some of the animals that live there.
2: I've never really been that interested in underwater photography so it was really interesting to hear about how different it feels every time you enter the water. To me I've always thought you had to make nature different. If you didn't manipulate your surrounding nothing would change, but it was cool to hear how they felt.
3: I learned that most people don't like the anaconda. I've always been a fan of snakes, including the larger ones but it's strange to me that people would be afraid of something so far away from them. I understand being a little afraid of the snakes around your house but there is no chance that one will be anywhere near you.
4: The episode takes place in Brazil, in the river. Although I like the location, the way the landscape looks, personally I wouldn't want to be in the water. I'm not a fan of the kind of stuff Eric foes for myself.
5: We are constantly taking more and more from animals and nature. Animals like the Anaconda are at an even bigger risk because they aren't really loved by the public. They are seen as dangerous and Eric's work helps destroy that perception and protect them and the land they live in.
Misunderstood Predators Pt. 2
1: Eric Cheng is a marine photographer who travels the world to photograph the animals that in in the waters. From the anacondas in Brazil to the sharks in the Bahamas. He takes this pictures to help get rid of the negative perception around these animals
2: I knew sharks where dying because of humans, but I had no idea at what rate. "Sharks are being wiped off the planet at a rate faster than any other animal in the history of our planet" was a really interesting quote. Now I obviously don't know if that statistic is true, but it's still partly true no mater what. Sharks are dying and it's good that there are people out there fighting for them, not fighting them
3: Although I knew that sharks were misunderstood and widely feared, I had no idea that the statistics were so in favor of sharks being nice. It made me think about how often we see sharks in popular culture and how it's never favorable to the shark, which to me, seems almost irreversible at this point. The "mean, scary shark" is so stuck in our heads it seems like by the time when as a culture can love them they might be all gone.
4: This took place in the Bahamas, which I didn't enjoy. I personally don't like underwater photography or animal photography and that's all the location was. I respect it and I understand the work, however it's not for me. Personally I like to have at least a little bit, if not complete control over the subject and you just can't do that here
5: Sharks are in danger more now than ever, more in danger than the people around them are. The pollution in the waters, especially around heavy tourist spots is horrible. On top of that, fishing and fear can kill sharks when fishermen or boaters are out on the waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment